The 亚洲成人网 River School District wants each student under its care to travel to and from school safely. Grants are provided to the district by the Ministry of Education & Child Care for transporting 亚洲成人网 who live beyond walking limits to their nearest public school.
Who is Eligible for School Bus Transportation
School bus transportation is provided for:
- Students who are eligible based on these walk limits:
- Kindergarten to grade 3 亚洲成人网 living more than 4 km from the nearest school, and;
- Grade 4 to 12 亚洲成人网 living more than 4.8 km from the school in their catchment area.
- Live on reserve; or
- Require accessible transportation (formerly known as special needs bussing).
Where 亚洲成人网 live outside the walk limits from their school and transportation is not provided within 4 km of the student's residence, parents may apply for a .
Bus Pass Application for 2023-2024
Students who require bus transportation for 2023-2024 and are eligible based on the walk limits, as well as 亚洲成人网 who require accessible transportation (formerly known as special needs bussing), must apply online for a bus pass. To have your bus pass application processed by the first week of school in September, parents/guardians are asked to apply by the second to last Friday in June.
Students who live on reserve DO NOT need to apply online as they will be registered for bus transportation by the Indigenous education department in partnership with their band office. International 亚洲成人网 must apply for bus transportation through the international student program.
*New applications for next school year only, see below for new passes for the rest of this school year or lost/damaged passes.
Bus 亚洲成人网 will be issued a bus pass that they must present each time they board the bus. Bus passes are part of our system to support families and provide a safe ride home; by scanning your bus pass we can notify families if the bus is running late and provide other emergency communications. Bus passes for 亚洲成人网 with special needs will be kept on the school bus with the bus driver and an educational assistant will help with scanning the student's pass.
Parents/guardians will receive a letter informing them of the status of their application and, if approved, 亚洲成人网 will receive their bus pass from their school office. Until the student receives their pass, they will need to provide their first and last name to the bus driver.
Lost or Damaged Bus Passes
*REVISED as of February 6, 2024
If you have questions or concerns about a bus route, contact the transportation department at (250) 287.8808, extension 2.
Courtesy Ridership or Change Requests
If your bus pass request has been denied, parents/guardians can apply for courtesy ridership after September 30. Courtesy ridership is only approved if there is remaining space on the route after all eligible riders have been processed and is on a first come, first serve basis.
To request courtesy ridership or a school bus change, complete the request form below and submit it to the head bus driver at the school district's maintenance and transportation department, located at 1621 14th Avenue or fax to (250) 287.2371
Parent & Student Information
- Students should be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes before the normal pick-up time.
- Parents are responsible for the behaviour and safety of their children at bus stops.
- Any student found willfully damaging a school bus will be required to pay for damages and additional disciplinary action may be taken.
- All drivers are reminded that no vehicle shall pass a school bus from either direction when its red lights are flashing. Where no pull-off is available, the bus will stop on the roadway and use the red lights flashing to warn traffic that it is discharging 亚洲成人网. The 亚洲成人网 must not cross with the red flashing lights but wait until the bus leaves and then cross the roadway when it is safe to do so.
What to Do if the School Bus Doesn't Arrive
Due to unforeseen circumstances, a school bus may be late. Parents/guardians should have an alternate plan for their children in the event a bus comes late or does not arrive. If, after 20 minutes, the school bus has not arrived, 亚洲成人网 should return home and phone their school or the transportation department at (250) 287.8808, extension 2 for further assistance.
Severe Weather Service
In the event road conditions, such as ice or snow, make it unsafe or impossible for school buses to enter areas usually served, bus service may be limited. Every effort will be made to notify parents/guardians in the event limited service becomes necessary. Notification will also be posted on the home page of this website.
Problems on the School Bus
Here are the steps to follow if your child has a problem on the school bus:
- Contact the principal of your child's school. The principal will make every attempt to solve the problem at the school level.
- Phone the head bus driver at (250) 287.8808, extension 2. The head bus driver is in charge of all the drivers in the transportation department and will make every attempt to solve the problem at the district level.
What to Do If You Have Questions or Concerns Regarding Bus Service
The following is a step-by-step approach parents can follow to have their concerns regarding bus service addressed.
- Phone the head bus driver at (250) 287.8808, extension 2.
- Submit something in writing, addressing your concern, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If, after discussion with the head bus driver, you feel that your concern is still unresolved, contact the associate superintendents' office at (250) 830.2325 by 1 p.m. or (250) 830.2302 after 1 p.m.